[MLB-WIRELESS] Bullet2 output power, why 1W or 100mW

Kim Hawtin kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au
Fri Mar 6 09:50:53 EST 2009

Mark Aitken wrote:
> Kim Hawtin wrote:
>> so how does one do that with 802.11abg?
>>
>> hang your callsign on the ESSID?
>
> Suits my understanding of the regulations.....all that should be needed
>
> You seem a little defensive about this subject?????

perhaps i'm tired of folks saying we can fix all these problems with MORE POWER!!!!!!
pushing out more power just means more background noise for everyone else.
and now doubt attracts unwanted attention.

ethernet isn't designed to be push long distance, in order to get reliable links over
25KM you need to fiddle with timeouts and hack on the drivers to make sure they hang
on to fragmented packets for longer, which effects the buffer sizes and so on.

if amateurs have 100 watts to play with, and they have lots of bandwidth to play with
and we're talking about much longer distances, then surely there are better suited
modes for this kind of work?

besides, if its an amateur sending the traffic is only between amateurs, so its not a
useful part of the network as other users can't use it. unless, of course they too
are HAMs ...

so bandying this talk of some HAMs can extend the network with $LOTSA watts is irrelevant,
AFAIC.

regards,

Kim
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations
kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au