[MLB-WIRELESS] Bullet2 output power, why 1W or 100mW

David Smith david at smithfamily.net.au
Thu Mar 5 21:44:14 EST 2009

You can.  And there are people who - quite legally - run more than three
times this sort of EIRP on 2.4GHz.

The secret is in the EMR (Site Radiation) level.  At 100kW, there is an
exclusion zone of about 25m in front of the dish (on-axis).  So, if your
dish can point at a neighbours house, or other areas where humans can be
expected, it must be more than 25m distance for levels to be safe.

The people I was referring to above run EME (AKA Moonbounce) and so
their dishes can be restricted to only point into the sky.  In this
case, the ACMA are perfectly happy.

You'll find a simple EMR calculator here:
http://www.sm2cew.com/VK3UM%20EMRCalc%20Ver%206.41%20Install.zip

EMR limits apply equally to WiFi installations, although you'll find the
exclusion zone quite small.

Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ