[MLB-WIRELESS] Bullet2 output power, why 1W or 100mW

Victor dawormie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 18:27:41 EST 2009

(replying to group only so it goes out correctly)

I'll be getting mine end of this week, and so long as my antenna I picked up
a while ago is sufficient I'll connect in through Mike's link in Geelong
region.
I plan to eventually aquire a couple more and setup additional spots around
the place and hopefully build a bigger mesh in Geelong region (and on
high-profile/visibility sites).

Lastly, if you want to play with the AirOS that comes with it, here's the
demo: http://demo.ubnt.com/

login: ubntdemo

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 6:17 PM, Simon Knight <simon.knight at gmail.com> wrote:

> Or with a low gain omni for an OLSRd or Batmand suburban mesh network :)
> Anyone had a play with the bullet2s yet?
>
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Mark Aitken <nodegxt at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> > mw at freenet.net.au wrote:
> >> G'day,
> >>
> >> Yeah, I can't think of many applications that would need a 1Watt
> >> transmitter.  That's not to say that there are no applications for one,
> just
> >> that I can't think of many ;-)
> >>
> >> 1Watt is about 30dBm, which means that your maximum antenna size is just
> >> 6dBi to keep within the 36dB EIRP limit.
> >>
> >> Now, consider a point to point link of about 50Km.  Theoretically you
> lose
> >> about 135dB signal through the air, so if you start with 26dB at the
> >> transmit end, by the time you go 20Km, you only have -99 to work with.
>  If
> >> your antenna is a meagre 6dBi, then the best possible result at the
> receiver
> >> is a measly -93: barely enough to do anything with it.
> >>
> >> BUT, if you used a 170mW transmitter, which is about 22dBm, then you can
> use
> >> a 14dBi antenna.  So over a 50Km link, you could potentially get -85dBm
> of
> >> signal to the receiver.  That's more likely to produce a reasonably
> usable
> >> result.
> >>
> >> The only reason I can think of that you would want to use a 1W
> transmitter
> >> would be when you want to do a relatively short hop point to point link
> >> (like less than 5Km perhaps), and you wanted to use small, aesthetically
> >> unobtrusive, antennas.
> >>
> >> Cheers!
> >>

> > Or be a Amateur Radio Operator and use the 30dbi into a 24dbi dish
> > giving you 54dbi to play with...gotta love it  :)

Victor ('Daworm')
AoCWiki Sysop  (http://aoc.wikia.com/)