[MLB-WIRELESS] Setting up node JQY

David Coles coles.david at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 01:36:04 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 22:02 +1000, mw at freenet.net.au wrote:
> Evenin'

Good Evenin'

> Cool - if you've never used a mikrotik before, you'll be utterly impressed
> with one, I'm sure!  The same kit can do 802.11a/b/g and now 802.11n as
> well.  It can operate in 2.4G spectrum as well as any of the 5gig bands too
> - just choose the antenna, set and go! :)

Alright. I think that sounds like the way to go. The Mikrotik board
seems to have a bit more power behind it than most of the other SOHO
equipment I own/have seen. And it will be nice to have a a bit of
equipment I know will work. Just waiting for my Membership stuff to go
through. How long does that usually take?

> > I've just been chatting with Peter who said just to put down an address
> > on the wiki and connect. :)
>
> I believe him! :-D

Feeling a bit bored Friday night I tried out a paper/alfoil parabolic
template - http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html -
on the built in aerial of the WL500G to see it would get me to
GHO-North. While it wasn't perfect it did manage to give me about 6dB
improvement or so bringing the RSSI bringing it down to around -84dBm.
Still not enough to connect but certainly a noticeable improvement.

Cheers,
David