[MLB-WIRELESS] Friday General Meeting Guest Speaker

mw at freenet.net.au mw at freenet.net.au
Tue Jul 7 11:17:58 EST 2009

Hello All,

We have a guest speaker to present some interesting ideas to our group this
Friday at the usual place, usually time.

Todd Hubers has been investigating the possibilities of optical wireless
technology in delivery of data services, and would like to hear your
feedback on these concepts.

His introduction is below:

Hello Everyone,

I have been invited to speak at the Melbourne Wireless meeting this Friday.
My name is Todd Hubers and I'm from Geelong. I'm a computer programmer,
programming since I was 7. I graduated from Deakin Uni in 2006, having
completed the Bachelor of Business Information Technology (Hons).

I will be speaking about a technology with exciting prospects - Free Space
Optic Mesh (FSOM). The presentation will include the following:
- Quick introduction to Free Space Optics
- Our idea for the mesh design
- Leveraged benefits:
    - Distributed web and services
    - Micro-cells for Mobile connectivity
    - Precision positioning

I have approached Deakin and Monash IT who are interested in researching
into these ideas, and I am hoping that Melbourne Wireless members will be
able to help to contribute ideas and for field testing.

I also have some comments about the current NBN proposal in the light of
such technology, but these will be limited due to time and are not the focus
of my visit.

I look forward to meeting you all and hearing your valuable opinions.

See you there,
Todd Hubers

0424 320 575