[MLB-WIRELESS] BarCampMelbourne: Getting internet access for a weekend

Victor dawormie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 11:35:37 EST 2009

I can personally vouch for the effectiveness of the system that is mentioned
by Mike.
I had loaned internet from Mike for a month or two that worked flawlessly
(so long as my side of the connection didn't screw up). Connected through
one of his gateways.

+1 for simple system! (from an end-user)

Just means that if there's anyone else nearby who picks up the network not
involved with your group, won't hijack off the connection and use and abuse
it.

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Ben Balbo <ben at benbalbo.com> wrote:

> Victor wrote:
> > For the record, here is a list of wifi hotspots available from Node.
>
> Thanks! They don't seem to cover Royal Park (not overly surprisingly).
> I'm chasing down a Node contact from a previous conference and will see
> what they can do for us.
>
> mw at freenet.net.au wrote:
> > I reckon it's a great idea!  If there's a node anywhere to connect to,
> then
> > all you need is some kind of distribution AP.  I'll even loan you a
> > DuxMaster gateway for that purpose so you can issue 'tickets' for access
> > control (i.e. max 24 hours, 1GB download, etc)
>
> I'll do some scoping in the coming weeks - will take your dish and a WRT
> with me. Thanks for the loan offer - I'll forward it to the organisers
> list and let you know. I suspect we'll probably go with a trust model as
> in previous years though.
>
> Cheers
> BB

Victor ('Daworm')