[MLB-WIRELESS] Minitar AP'S

mw at freenet.net.au mw at freenet.net.au
Thu Jan 15 23:16:13 EST 2009

Hi Steve,

There's not much we can do to meet your $200 budget - the closest thing we
can offer is more than that for each end:

http://shop.duxtel.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=48

A pair of those will set you back a tad under $500 (after taking off your
10% MW member discount) but it will definitely give you a rock solid result
and mighty throughput compared to the el-cheapo alternatives, and supports
2.4GHz turbo mode for dual channel operation (108Mbps air rate)

For a small budget, though, you can get a reasonably good result that is
both fun and educational - a good project for anyone, I reckon ;-)

To keep the costs down, consider building your own antennas - there are some
very good designs using common household materials like CDs, Pringles
containers and sardine cans (I've had excellent results with the sardine can
design)

Also, there are lots of old galaxy antennas around that often show up in
junk shops and recycle yards that you can usually pick up for a few dollars
(I've heard of folks driving around the neighborhood knocking on doors and
offering the occupiers to remove the unused antennas 'for free' ;-)  These
antennas are relatively easy to make into a very good wifi antenna and ideal
for a point to point link like you are talking about.

For cables and stuff, I always find RFshop (one of the melbournewireless
'sponsors') a great source of everything needed.

Have fun!

Cheers,  Mike.