[MLB-WIRELESS] List of all active web servers on MW

mw at freenet.net.au mw at freenet.net.au
Sun Feb 15 13:41:34 EST 2009

Hi folks,

This question was raised at the recent meeting, and I thought I'd take a
look at what couldbe done using this snmp manager I have running.

The result is not too bad - I have built a list of the active nodes that I
can discover from the snmp server, and it can detect what services are
running.

I think I have hooked up the web interface to my node, but it is hard to
test the NAT properly when I am coming from the wrong side of that routing
device.

If someone could point a web browser at 10.10.64.241, it should result in
the login page - username 'mw' password 'wireless'

Once in, you'll see a list of all the hosts in the database - there's a lot
of stuff that exists on my colo and public networks, you can ignore all that
or take a look if you are really that interested.

Click on 'maps' in the main menu then click on the "MelbourneWireless" map
for the interesting info.

You'll see a list of all the detected nodes and their real time status -
i.e. green is good, orange is unstable and red is down.

The cool thing is that the icons show an 'earth' for web servers, PC for
windows boxes, and a kind of slab thing for routers.  You can click on each
object and see some details - click on the 'www' at the TOP of the detail
page to open the web site.

Another cool thing is that on the node details page, you can click on the
'chart' next to the services list, and see a graph of the access times for
that node.

I reckon that this might be a useful thing to install somewhere more central
than the back corner of a Geelong node ;-)

The software, btw, is "Mikrotik Dude" and can be downloaded for free from
www.mikrotik.com - if anyone is interested, maybe I can do a demo at a
meeting sometime.  The dude server can also be installed on any Mikrotik
RouterOS, so it could easily be installed in a little black box (like I had
at the recent meeting) and plugged in to a switch at any node.

Comments? Suggestions?

Cheers,  Mike.