[MLB-WIRELESS] Linux porting question

Ivy Jane Gardiner ivy at carnagevisors.net
Tue Dec 22 01:13:52 EST 2009

On 22/12/2009, at 9:52 AM, Michael Vale wrote:

> Ivy Jane Gardiner wrote:
>> On 20/12/2009 1:12 PM, peter berrett wrote:
>> <snip!>
> True.  There is an iPhone Linux port, but as mentioned, writing drivers for undocumented parts is not easy.
>
> There is also the Openmoko Freerunner that runs an embedded linux distro.
>
> You're best to start out by finding out what exactly the device comprises of.  It may already run a *nix OS.
>
> Re,
>
> MV.

Well the iPhone itself runs a version of UNIX based around mac os x. unfortunately it will only run signed code. Though the developer program is fairly open (except for the yearly cost of been able to sign code to run on said device.)

It's an interesting platform, which I've been hacking with a little over the last few months.

as mentioned before though the Nokia N900 runs maemo, which is a debian port which is one of the better portable linuxes I've seen. I've not played with the N900 yet, but I do own the N810, which is very similar, except minus the cell phone part.

A lot of fun to hack with, and fairly easy to develop for, as a lot of unix packages will just cross compile.  It's just a little more difficult for the x based stuff, and one sometimes has to rejig the UI.

I really want to get the IPB beacon tracker running on the device, but haven't got round to it.

~Ivy
VK3IVY