[MLB-WIRELESS] Long distance links

mw at freenet.net.au mw at freenet.net.au
Fri Oct 31 21:10:16 EST 2008

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply! :)

The location I tried is listed on the MW site as node KBV
(http://www.melbournewireless.org.au/maps/view?id=KBV)

He is not exactly on that spot, though, because since it's not my place, I
didn't want to 'out' him as such ;-)

The real site is a little way toward the bay along Batman.

Corner of Batman/Willis looks pretty good - you have just enough altitude
that you might be able to get over the nearest trees (see attached), and the
line to my place looks like it will clear the hill to the water tower.

>From the bottom end of batman, I could pick up a commercial AP a few
hundred
m to the south of us, which has similar equipment to what I use, and so I
suspect that so long as the trees are cleared, we should be right to get a
relatively good signal through.

If you can find an SSID of 'freenet.net.au', then you have a lock on us :)

Cheers!

Mike.