[MLB-WIRELESS] Open source hardware and software for APs

Paul van den Bergen paul.vandenbergen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 13:00:43 EST 2008

Hi All,

For too long I've been prevaricating about setting up a Melbwifi AP
here are my criteria:
I want to use one of the custom kernels - esp since I'd like to mess
with IPv6 et al.
I want appropriate hardware - even willing to try open source hardware

If I'm having issues then I guess others are too.

shall we compile a list of suitable starting points?

first off is there a list of the various OSs available?  I figure
there are less install candidates so start there and go for hardware
choice later.

I can recall/think of
OpenWRT
dd-wrt
OpenSWAN??

though I confess I know not exactly what they all are or if they are
what I'm after...

I've heard tell of open source hardware too.

in terms of choosing hardware I regularly see cheap APs selling
through e.g. catch of the day etc.if I had a starting point I could
quickly check their hardware computability.

On the other hand I'm guessing that this info is already available - is it?

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen