[MLB-WIRELESS] Multihoming Question

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Wed Nov 5 09:16:39 EST 2008

All,

I'm working on a small experiment which utilizes multiple outbound links
(in the experiments case multiple consumer 3G connections [to 2 Sprint/2
Verizon/1 AT&T], Time Warner Cable Modem and an SBC Global DSL connection.

What is the best way to do outbound traffic engineering? I would like to
be able to determine the best path possible and send traffic out the
appropriate link.

Could this be done with a copy of the BGP tables?

Obviously as they are consumer connections, I wouldn't get a BGP feed so
would need to download a copy, which has the risk of stale data. Perhaps
some sort of multihop BGP setup?

I have done some research and found a lot of references to small site
multihoming without BGP for link redundancy but not for traffic
engineering.

Naturally I want to do all this with a Linux box. Xorp or Quagga. Maybe
Vyatta. Not sure yet. Open to suggestions. :)

Thanks.

Charles