[MLB-WIRELESS] QoS and Voip on tomato with asus wl-500gp

Rohan Malhotra rohanmalhotra86 at gmail.com
Tue May 27 22:57:25 EST 2008

hello everybody,

i've decided to give my voip QoS another shot; atm its currently working*,
though its far from perfect and i think there's potential of getting it much
better.

currently im using an alcatel 510 (alcatel-home firmware upgraded, with sip
port opened) connected to an asus wl-500gp with tomato v1.17 firmware and
shared with 7 people, both wired and non-wired.
i also have attached a wired sipura 3102 ATA.

im with tpg adsl2 internet and i sync at 7mbps-down/.9mbps-up. i've capped
my speeds to 5.6mbps-down/724kbps-up respectively (or 80% of each).
i use pennytel as my vsp.

i make calls through my wired connection to the router and also through my
ata. on my ata i use the g729 codec and on my pc i use g711.

atm i'm using l7, port classification and mac prioritisation (for the ata)
in my QoS setup. please see
www.geocities.com/cyanid...es/tomatoqos.jpg<http://www.geocities.com/cyanidespillromania/images/tomatoqos.jpg>for
details

in terms of the problem itself, i think its probably packet loss- as the
other end seems to complain of 'drop-outs' or that they can't hear me
sometimes. echo is a peripheral issue but still worthy of mention, as some
people don't like it.

what irritates me most is that, though i seldom max-out (particularly when i
call out- i monitor it!) my connection, my voip calls still seem to get
disturbed by other traffic on the router, even when the router has no other
concurrent traffic (which voids the idea that greater bandwidth alleviates
quality issues).

seeing as i have a bandwidth surplus, is it possible to permanently allocate
bandwidth to voip services- have bandwidth exclusively set aside and
untouchable by other services?

any insights appreciated !

thank you

rohan