[MLB-WIRELESS] Asus wl500g units available - openwrt and mini-pci compatible

Rohan Malhotra rohanmalhotra86 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 17:52:29 EST 2008

with the asus wl500g you can swap out the minipci radio attached to the
mainboard and switch it to whatever kind of radio you like. Peter mentioned
the cm9 in his post presumably because its probably a lot more sensitive
than the standard (usually) broadcom radio and it works in the 5ghz range.
5ghz is preferable to 2.4ghz because most off-the-shelf gear uses 2.4ghz
which means the 2.4ghz frequency range is clogged up whereas the 5ghz range
is less clogged!

as to the the stuff about long cables, please read those power presentations
i sent you!!

ill recap, you'll usually need a long cat5 cable attached to the router on
your roof because of  the routers power requirements. the (expensive high
freq)cable from the router to the antenna tends to be much shorter than the
cat5 power cable because usually the router and antenna are close by. Most
configurations utilise the cat5 for PoE (power over ethernet) instead of
running long power cables which can be dangerous. Whats nice about this is
the cable providing the power can double as a data cable too, which means
you can administer the router on the wired side instead of wirelessly (which
can be tedious and problematic).

as to how you might wanna use this on the MW network; depends who you're
connecting to (whether they run on 5ghz or 2.4ghz, directional or
otherwise), or whether you just wanna use it as a local AP for your street.

gl

rohan