[MLB-WIRELESS] Lord of the Rings style link to NASA Canberra

Sjors Provoost sjors at sprovoost.nl
Tue Jul 22 18:41:17 EST 2008

Hi guys,

No I am not seriously thinking about doing that. But I would like to learn
more about wireless technology and get a feeling for the "physics" involved.
Extreme examples help me think more clearly. And they are more fun.

If anyone has some spare time, could you help me with this mental exersize?

Distance between Melbourne and Canberra, via M31: 672 km
Average distance between nodes: 10 km (more?)
Number of nodes: 67

Nodes will be in / on top of private properties, installed by volunteers.

Are there any parts of the route where we could not possibly get to the next
node, because nobody lives there?

What components would you use and what do they cost?  I prefer cheap stuff,
that is just replaced when it breaks.  Don't worry about redundancy.

What kind of bandwidth would we get (while keeping things legal)?

How would ping time compare to, say, ADSL?

Cheers,

Sjors