[MLB-WIRELESS] 3G cheap

Michael Van Den Acker mike.vda at rmit.edu.au
Wed Jul 16 12:57:33 EST 2008

I'm not in the telecoms industry but just trying to get a good deal for my daughter's Uni stuff.

Telstra have their own 3G network it seems to have the best coverage Australia wide and they know it.
iBurst and Unwired also have their own networks mostly inner metro areas.

The majority of wireless 3G internet providers are using the Optus network. They include Dodo, Virgin, Optus (duh) & Soul. Vodafone ?? I believe they have their own network in metro areas and then roam on another carrier outside these areas. So even though they have the same price as Virgin the limits/restrictions and over limit charges kill it as an option immediately. Read the fine print.......
Optus 3G coverage is effectively limited to metro areas. They are however starting to expand their network. It will take some time though.
Outside metro area the 3G falls back to GPRS which is effectively dialup (or slower) speeds.

>From my point of view Virgin was the best with 5Gb for $39.00 with shaping after 5Gb. Fair use policy etc....
With a post paid mobile phone bundled as well you got a $5 discount so $34/month.

FYI Telstra Next G runs in the 850Mhz band and Optus in 1.9GHz band

Just my 5 cents worth. If anyone is interested in my comparison table let me know and I will email it to you. All pricing etc was as of April.

Michael Van den Acker
All of the above are just my personal thoughts and opinions. Some of the info may be incorrect if so please let me know.
I do not have shares or interests in any of the above companies.