[MLB-WIRELESS] Government Internet Filter - What do you think?

Emil Mikulic emikulic at dmr.ath.cx
Wed Dec 10 11:39:30 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 11:26:10AM +1100, mw at freenet.net.au wrote:
> Personally, I reckon that the previous govt policy of providing client-side
> filter software to all who wants it, is easily the most effective and least
> invasive.

Do you mean?  http://www.netalert.gov.au/filters.html

$85 million spent, downloaded 100,000 times in the first 1.5 weeks,
and two weeks later still being used by less than 3000 people.

Perhaps this says something about public demand for internet filtering.

Personally, I'd prefer if they spent 85 million of our tax dollars on
something worthwhile, and families who want internet filters can pay for
their own.

--Emil