[MLB-WIRELESS] Mitsu R100 (Asus 500g) causing interference

Jason Hecker jhecker at wireless.org.au
Wed Dec 3 16:14:29 EST 2008

Huh?!

> modern processors radiate all over the frequency bands. Even something as
> "simple" as USB is horrendous for emitting wide-band interference. USB
> cables act as excellent antennas, it turns out.

Yes, well, that is true.  I've designed a USB device that passed C'Tick,
CE and FCC emission *and susceptibility* requirements the first time.  And
yes, it required consideration of placement of inductors, capacitors and
thoughtful board layout.  If you design for EMI issues from the *start*
you will have no problems.  And this was tested using a worst case 5m USM
cable (a la antenna).

> Some chips emit a lot of EMI and others don't. It's very disheartening to
> come up with a design, go through the multi-month prototyping and
> fabrication process only to find out that one of the chips you chose just

Has NEC Australia lost that sort of hardware expertise?  What's going on!?!?