[MLB-WIRELESS] Mitsu R100 (Asus 500g) causing interference

hannah commodore hannah at tinfoilhat.net
Wed Dec 3 11:59:08 EST 2008

emdeex wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've had my trusty R100 for 3 years or so.  Running an Oleg firmware.
> Recently, I'd noticed my AM radio was getting a lot of static.  I
> didn't immediately suspect the R100, but after several weeks of head
> scratching, moving the radio around, changing radios etc, I narrowed
> it down to the R100.  When it was off, no interference, when its on,
> static on the radio.
>
> I also suspect its been interfering with my 1.8Ghz cordless phone,
> which has been static-y as well.
>
> I've swapped it out for a spare D-link DI-524 and the interference has
> gone away.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or experience, just for the sake of
> knowledge, why a device like this would be good, and then go bad and
> start interfering with other radio devices?

Something that is also common in massed produced hardware like this is
the electrolytic capacitors begin to leak. in RF spectrum the caps are
essential to filter out harmonics and other interference to comply with
emission regulations.. though the leaky cap may not be in the RF board
itself, the power supply might show similar symptoms.

if you're feeling brave you should be able to see the blue cylinders on
the board, and if any have a dark brown goop near the base then you know
it's stuffed