[MLB-WIRELESS] The search for content on MW - DNS

Tyson Clugg tclugg at umd.com.au
Wed Aug 20 10:25:39 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 21:27 +1000, Richard Salts wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:58:56 Daryl Knight wrote:
> > Anyone considered doing DNS for the network?  Making say the first IP
> > address in the effective range, the node name + whatever.  Make life easier
> > than shooting around looking for ip-addresses.
> Why not set up a DNS root where the node name was the top level domain and put
> something in the web interface to allow them to create name servers/put in
> glue.

The simplest possible thing that will work is probably the best thing
for us to do - generate a "hosts" file from the node data contained on
the MW website.  You can schedule an automatic job to fetch an updated
version from the MW server every day.  Service information is available
as well, we can include a limited set of aliases to particular IPs given
the information in the node database.

We don't need a full fledged DNS service right now (though it would be
nice), getting something simple up and running (hosts file) would be a
better start.

So, what do you want in the hosts file?  An example for a node with
services please...

Cheers,
Tyson Clugg.

President + Website administrator, Melbourne Wireless Inc.