[MLB-WIRELESS] Weather anyone ?

Gavin Jackson gavin at toolernvale.com
Sat Sep 22 13:11:14 EST 2007

Many people are aware of the 1wire devices made by dallas semiconductors for many useful purposes.

It is possible to read temperature etc, from the 1 wire devices and graph them on your openwrt router using owfs and temploggerd but this loses data if the power is dropped etc as the router holds the data.

Not many people are aware that you can have your weather data gathered on the openwrt and uploaded to the weather underground www.wunderground.net

I have managed to package up the oww package into a ipk for the both serial and usb devices and have posted it to www.webrentit.co/oww/packages

The oww package was chosen because it has addons like pc screensaver that show weather , a remote client app that allows you to look ay the live data etc.

A live example is accessible at
http://www.webrentit.com/tracsrental/
(double click anywhere on the weather data to look at the current and historical data)

the package will install lthe program and a startup script in the /etc/init.d/S90oww , create a /usr/etc/oww folder with a template structure that you can edit including a sample uploading config.

As I have no usb capable router at present, Is is possible for someone to load the package and let me know if the usb drivers work? I have verified it on a FC6 box using a serial-usb adaptor as /dev/ttyUSB0

My thought was to have this as part of the splash page on the Melbourne Wireless hotspot project, as it would be freely available and encourage people to access the hotspot.

Any takers ?
Thanks in advance,
Gavin