[MLB-WIRELESS] Meraki's

Peter Berrett berrettp at optusnet.com.au
Sat Sep 22 12:06:48 EST 2007

Hi Hafeez

Its I funny you should mention this because I was pondering about this
kind of a setup myself the other night. I had read about how some
generous people had made the internet freely available but then realised
that if someone leeched too much it would cause problems with download
limits.

I did the maths regarding throttling. At 10k/s continuous this would
equate to 600k/minute thus 3.6 meg/hour thus 86.4 meg per day thus
roughly 2.6 gb per month.
So lets say you have a 12 gb download limit  you could probably service
say 5 users at 10k/second continuously. One would probably have to halve
that if uploads are counted eg 2.5 users @10k per second. But very few
people would use such a low speed connection continuously over a month
so chances are a much larger number of people could be serviced. Also
the extra nightime download limits allow a bit more breathing space.

So after all that one could probably set up a free internet node
throttled back to say 20k per second and then adjust the speed according
to the level of demand ie if download limits get exceed the speed could
be throttled back further. The might also be different throttling speeds
depending on the time of day.

It is definently doable and as you say, seems like a good way to get to
know the neighbours.

Regards Peter