[MLB-WIRELESS] Possible use for the network

Peter Berrett berrettp at optusnet.com.au
Tue Oct 2 21:00:55 EST 2007

Yes, unique content is my main interest. I suppose one has to ask
oneself - if the internet exists why build a parrallel network?

*What unique advantages does the network have
*
- speed (if optimized for such)
- capacity to provide communications to places that don't have internet
connectivity (rare nowadays)
- no download/upload limits or costs

The latter point is interesting in that the network is great for
downloading purposes but the content is on another network namely the
internet!

*What unique disadvantages does the network have
*
- speed not optimized at the moment (about equivalent to broadband
internet so not much advantage there)
- no/little access to internet content
- limited amount of content available
- not easy for noobs to connect in

In some ways this reminds me of the melbourne packet radio group
(amateur radio).  Packet radio really  suffered because of its slowness
and to some extent its limited content. Mind you it was ok for sending
emails, did have a little space related unique content and was also very
useful for APRS (Automatic Position Reporting System).

APRS is something we should probably try and implement on the MW
network. Could be fun tracking everyones car.

Probably the future for MW is as follows

1. APRS with connected voice to voice VOIP/video communications (car to
car, base station to car)

2. Mechanism for transmitting large files including video thus avoiding
internet bandwidth limits

3. Access to large non-commercial video repository (amateurlogic, BSOD,
archive.org files etc)

4. Quality NASA Tv retransmission (via multicasting provided bandwidth
is available)

Just some ideas...

cheers Peter