[MLB-WIRELESS] Meraki stuff yet again :)

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Thu May 31 15:19:08 EST 2007

Pretty-much yes, that's what it means. The AP51 EasyFlash app is basically a
front-end for RedBoot.  It works on Meraki's via Ethernet straight out of
the box - no need to open the Meraki's case or use serial cables.  Foneras
do not support Ethernet access to RedBoot out of the box - you need to
attach a serial cable to change this.

One thing I have not tested is if it works on a Meraki which still has the
original vendor firmware installed - but I see no reason why it shouldn't.
I only have one Meraki to play with at the moment, and it has been flashed
with OpenWRT many times over.  I even flashed it with the Freifunk/Fonera
firmware and it behaved like a Fonera router (complete with FON captive
portal) with Freifunk OLSR running in the background.  It runs in
simultaneous Adhoc( for mesh)/Public AP/Private AP mode quite well.

The only thing we are missing now is an OpenWRT/Atheros-based firmware
suited to our needs.  The OpenWRT Kamikaze snapshots currently available
have no web interface at all.  The closest thing I can see that currently
works is the Freifunk/Fonera firmware - you can run it in "Ego" mode which
disables all the FON network stuff and makes it act like a regular Freifunk
Firmware (with a FON admin interface).  That might be a starting point for
us at the moment.

Cheers,

Dan

  _____