[MLB-WIRELESS] compile problems...

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Thu Jun 28 07:39:01 EST 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 02:23:16PM +1000, Anthony Adverse wrote:
> >why not just use the hostap drivers that have been in the standard kernel
> >source for years?
>
> Cause FC3 doesn't appear to have it in the stock kernel, and I can't get FC6
> to install on this hardware... old BX mobo with a piii550....Otherwise I'm
> sure it'd be just great.. :/

FC doesn't restrict you to just the FC-supplied kernel (probably an
ancient version if you're using FC3).

you can download the source for any kernel from www.kernel.org (or your
local mirror). compile it, and install it (make sure your boot loader -
lilo or grub or whatever - is configured to allow you to select which
kernel to boot in case the new one doesn't work and you need to revert
to the old kernel).

when configuring the new kernel, start with the config from your old
kernel (i.e. copy it to .config at the top of the kernel source tree),
run "make oldconfig" to answer any new questions, then "make menuconfig"
to verify and/or change any kernel compile time options (e.g. to enable
hostap support). then compile and install the new kernel.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>

BOFH excuse #356:

the daemons! the daemons! the terrible daemons!