[MLB-WIRELESS] WiMAX to go Australia wide?

Mike Dickens michaeldickens at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 01:01:12 EST 2007

I don't mean to be offensive, but I don't think you entirely know what
you're talking about.

The cost of bandwidth is very high here for one simple reason - we're a damn
island in the middle of nowhere ;). Access to the Southern Cross Cable
network (the main link out of Australia, running from Sydney to the US via
undersea cables) is expensive for all parties (ISPs *and* webhosts). The
cost for simply getting onto the link connecting us to the US (and as such,
the rest of the world) is prohibitevily expensive, and obviously a cost
US-based hosts don't have to pay (they're already in the country they need
access to).

You are right on one point though - residential internet prices are
inflated. It's not the fault of individual ISPs though - it is, as usual, a
Telstra problem. Now, I'm not a diehard anti-Telstra guy (why not, you ask
:P), but if you hang around Whirlpool (and I'm sure a lot of you do) you'll
know that ADSL ports (per customer) are wholesaled to ISPs at ridiculous
prices. For example, an (up to, optionally throttled to 3 mbit if Telstra
don't have the backhaul..) 8 mbit port is over $50 (excl GST). This doesn't
take into account the ISP must also pay for your backhaul from the Telstra
exchange to their local POP (point of presence, most have one in each
state). From here, they must get it to Sydney (some ISPs do this via
Telstra, others such as Internode maintain their own national network), and
then to the US. Those are the BARE costs of running an ISP. Chuck in
expenses such as Wages for support staff, etc, and you can see it really
adds up. Of course, the fact Telstra receive more than your actual ISP does
for simply managing to have a monopoly is ridiculous too.

As it stands though, it appears nothing is going to change. Your average
person thinks Telstra is the butter on their bread, and the fact the
government is "holding them back" is appaling. You should read some of the
letters featured in The Herald Sun on the matter.

Sorry for rambling, it's late.