[MLB-WIRELESS] WiMAX to go Australia wide?

Kim Hawtin kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Jun 19 10:08:29 EST 2007

Tony Langdon, VK3JED wrote:
> At 01:37 AM 6/19/2007, Dean Collins wrote:
>> As it's still early in the announcement I think it's a moot point to
>> complain what they are/are not rolling out.
>>
>> Anything that is able to increase to connectivity for remote/rural
>> people above dial up is a good thing.
>>
>> My point was people seem to be making a lot of assumptions already about
>> this announcement without a lot of factual data (both gov/corp and
>> public)
>
> This is true, but I'll join the ranks of the skeptics unless someone
> can prove otherwise.  Radio has limited bandwidth, and WiMax, like
> GSM, UMTS, HSDPA and other cellular technologies requires a lot of
> serious backhaul bandwidth, especially when you want to service
> thousands of users.
>
> I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I am rather skeptical.

WiMax has been seriously over-subscribed in Sydney when I tried to use
it at LinuxConf.

Actual signal coverage is poor and throughput is less reliable than dialup.

So either they plan to roll out WiMax in low density areas or you're better
off using dialup.

They really need to be looking for a better technology, not something
hitting the end of the development cycle.

So what other technologies are there out there?

regards,

Kim
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations
kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au