[MLB-WIRELESS] East Timor

Mark Aitken nodegxt at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jun 3 15:45:58 EST 2007

Andrew Mahar wrote:

> G'day,
>
> I am hoping that someone may be able to provide me with some advice.
> I am doing some work in East Timor and am interested in establishing a
> wireless network in the second largest town, a place called Baucau.
> The issue is that the only internet they have available is dial up.
> Is it possible to establish a wireless network using dial up as the
> connection to the internet?
>
> Any advise on how to go about doing this would be appreciated.
>
> Best wishes
>
> andrew

I reckon it could become quite congested what with MBit/s speeds coming
into something less than 56Kbps.

Still, quite feasible.  As someone suggested (Shaun Lee Clarke),  a PC
doing the dial up stuff with an ethernet port to the wireless
network with sharing across the interfaces.

I used to do just this with a linux box and pppd with forwarding set up
in firewall rules (ipchains then I think??)
Been a long time since those days!!!

Good luck

Mark