[MLB-WIRELESS] R100 / wl-500gP with openwrt RC5 Running Full perl

Peter Buncle peter at nmc.net.au
Thu Jul 26 06:19:19 EST 2007

For those who are interested,

I had an old debian box just to run a perl script that uploads images to
a website.
using about ~100w of power.

The images are coming from an r100 running a logitech quickcam pro
webcam with PWC.

Well thanks to someone else's efforts in compiling all the packages for
openwrt,
Full perl is available to run on Openwrt !

NOTE:   This does take a lot of flash , my install took about 50Mb so
you HAVE
to already complete the procedure to make the r100/wl-500gp boot of a
usb key.

Once this is done, you can happily run full perl !

Just don't load the r100 up with other heavy programs at the same time
while
your running your script, it does only have 16meg of ram and may die.

I used a bash script in a loop to grab the image (high load),
then run the perl to parse & upload.

I'm doing my bit for the enviornment & have just cut 100w off my
continuos power usage.

References

http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=4122

http://www.cip.ifi.lmu.de/~colberg/openwrt/bin/whiterussian/0.9/

To easily install perl (there's HEAPS of modules)

Add

src perl http://www.cip.ifi.lmu.de/~colberg/openwrt/bin/whiterussian/0.9
To your /etc/ipkg.conf file

Ipkg update