[MLB-WIRELESS] Help please

Paul paul at ozisp.com.au
Fri Jul 13 15:48:19 EST 2007

Hello,

I am new to this list and looking for some help and guidance.

I have spent some time going thru a few years of postings in the archives
for this list and am a little more clued as a result, but did not find the
particular answers I was looking for.

I am wanting to set up a wireless link over 6km and believe I have the
appropriate equipment and connectors.

At one end I am wanting to utilize a redundant setup that already exists.
There is a grid antennae and outdoor Access Point and power to it via the
Ethernet cable.

My current problem is I cannot talk to the Access Point. How do I access it?
I have removed from the outdoor enclosure the board that had a "NL2511CD
plus ext2" card inserted in it. I have managed to get this card operating
fine in my notebook but how do I access it when it is on the board via the
network cable. I was not able to talk to it when it was in place and since I
have removed it I have issues getting power to it. The whole setup was
working fine when connected to MegaLink (a wireless ISP) but I now want to
use it for my link. I believe with MegaLink it ran some sort of VPN and was
not detectable by me. I have tried to get info on the board without success,
I do not believe it is an AP2000; it has the following markings on it 'YDI
Wireless Inc', PWB-0005-01', 'blackbird-A', 'SD071805', 'KN-051E',
'BAS-0319-02', '0020f6052bdd'. It has room for 1 PCMCIA card and has one
RJ45. It seems if I could get this working then that is the ideal solution
as the card seems to be well regarded and I have the connections - pig tail
to antennae and power.

If that is too hard then I am happy to use another AP but of those I have
immediate access to I have issues with pigtails and power.

The other end I believe I am right with but goodness knows what issues I may
have when I try to make the connection. I have the appropriate powered grid
antennae with appropriate pigtail and a few standard APs to choose from. I
have line of sight.

Although I am happy learning and progressing slowly there is a degree of
urgency to setting up this link and I am happy to organise some assistance
if it is available. If there is a simple answer re accessing the board then
that would be appreciated but I would be happy to have someone help me /
complete the job and would be happy to pay for such assistance if an amount
could be suggested / proposed.

I am in Wallan and am positioned high with line of sight to the city and
more significantly west. I notice the Northern suburbs group of Melbourne
wireless is aiming for a presence in Wallan, I am happy to assist with the
location (if suitable), provision of some equipment and my cooperation and
assistance; if it is of interest.

Thanks,
Paul.