[MLB-WIRELESS] Free Net building- connection

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 26 19:06:06 EST 2007

Hi Adam,

Thanks for writing to us!  I have forwarded your email to the main mailing
list - our members are always willing to help new members.

You can try a couple of approaches.  The method we use nowadays is to use a
wireless router and put 3rd-party firmware on it.  If you buy a router that
is compatible with a 3rd-party firmware such as OpenWRT
(http://www.openwrt.org), you could make use of the Automagic Firmware
Builder (http://flett.zapto.org/firmware) (shameless plug for my pet
project).  All you have to is register a node with Melbourne Wireless,
create a firmware with the Automagic Builder, then put that firmware on your
router.

In almost all cases you will need to put your wireless antenna outside, as
high as possible on your building - ideally, on your TV mast or higher, to
get the best possible range.

You will most likely want to get a high-gain antenna for your wireless
equipment.  An Omni antenna
(http://melbournewireless.org.au/wiki/?OmniAntenna) will pick up signals in
all directions - good if you want to cover your local area - but won't get
the best possible range if you want to connect to a distant node.  If you
want distance, get a directional antenna, such as a Parabolic Grid or a
Yagi.  Yagis can be bought from Jaycar, but they are expensive.  Some
Members of Melbourne Wireless are able to get Parabolic Antennas fairly
cheap from time to time - it's best to ask in the main mailing list or come
to a meeting and ask around.  Otherwise, eBay is a pretty good place to look
for wireless gear.

You do raise a valid point - we don't really have a standard recommendation
when it comes to hardware.  This is something I think Melbourne Wireless
needs to address in the coming year.

Please ask more question if you have them!

Cheers,

Dan