[MLB-WIRELESS] Need help testing new feature (Dan Flett)

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 24 09:53:07 EST 2007

Hi there,

Sorry, I'm pretty sure the Freifunk Firmware, which is what we're using at
the moment, doesn't have native support for USB Wireless dongles.  I've not
actually heard of anyone who's had much success with USB dongles under
OpenWRT.  Linux support for USB Wireless was pretty a pretty complicated
thing to get going last time I checked - about a year ago.  Things might be
different now though.  As far as I was aware, the only USB chipset with
Linux support was the Zyxel, using the wlanctl tools (not iwconfig), and
only under a 2.6 kernel
http://software.newsforge.com/software/05/01/18/170211.shtml?tid=92&tid=102
Again, I'm just quoting off the top of my head so it's worth more of a look.

OpenWRT Kamikaze is more likely to be able to support USB wireless I
believe, but the Freifunk Firmware is still loosely based on the
Whiterussian tree.  When Freifunk goes with Kamikaze it'll be a whole new
ball game - there will be all sorts of things that will automatically become
supported.

Cheers,

Dan