[MLB-WIRELESS] OT: Green community datacentre

Gary Winder gkwinder at tpg.com.au
Tue Feb 6 00:38:20 EST 2007

30 kW is just one rack, and there are rows of them!

The issue he has is that the density of equipment is getting higher so the
power used per tile is going up. Older style data centres can,t handle the
load if the new gear. He's got only 2/3rds on the floor space used as all of
the gear he has is maxing out the power and cooling into the building.
Getting everything upgraded is a massive cost. But people see the empty
floor space and assuming there is free space to put more kit.

 But anyway, back on topic. The idea of non profit data centres is nice, but
being able to provide different levels of service to different people at
different costs will be challenging.

 Setting up a green data centre would be awesome and a project I'd love to
do. Find a nice windy place not too far out of town, set up a large wind
farm and maybe any other forms of energy sources like solar etc. Use the
power to run the site. It would be independent from the grid, and ability to
maybe sell power back into it. Invent some special Server case and rack that
has water cooling inbuilt and use geothermal power to cool the water and
pump it through each rack, cutting down on the need for air conditioning and
therefore even more power wasted. Need to work out how not to make the pipes
rust out and leak at all ;)

 Anyway, just a few thoughts.

Regards,
g at z.