[MLB-WIRELESS] Solar Power - How much battery?

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Thu Dec 6 12:20:35 EST 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 11:06:10AM +1000, gregsonm at aanet.com.au wrote:
> Question... how do you calculate the amount of battery a solar panel can
> charge?
>
> I know some of you will say it depends on how much sun there is... which
> would be right. But I am looking for a basic calculation to make sure I
> have the maximum battery capacity possible.
>
> For example, if I use an 80 watt solar panel, what would be the amount of
> battery amp hours I could charge?
>
> All advice greatly appreciated... Mark

Electrical energy in Watts is calculated by Volts x Amp (P=VxI).

This mean if your solar panel outputs 14 volts, 80W would be about 5.7Amps.

This is theory though. In practice, you'll be getting less than that due
to regulating the output etc. Get your figure, and assume about 60% of
your panel output for usable charge current. Anything more is just a bonus :)

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au
Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed is by accident.
That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."
   -- Nathaniel Borenstein