[MLB-WIRELESS] seeing connected nodes

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Thu Aug 9 16:23:23 EST 2007

Quoting Chris Samuel <chris at csamuel.org>:

> On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Steven Haigh wrote:
>
>> The new server revision is built upon CentOS 5. CentOS is the
>> community edition of RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
> [..]
>> As you guessed it, mapserver doesn't have any RPMs in either RHEL or
>> RPMForge - so it needs to be built from source.
>
> This may have been easier if you had used Debian, that appears to have
> MapServer already packaged and you can upgrade the distro between
> releases online with a final reboot to use the latest kernel.
>
> But for CentOS you will find that if Fedora are still packaging
> MapServer then you could add it to the Fedora EPEL wish-list.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
>
> # EPEL is a volunteer-based community effort from the Fedora project
> # to create a repository of high-quality add-on packages that
> # complement the Fedora-based Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and its
> # compatible spinoffs such as CentOS or Scientific Linux.
>
> Might save you a lot of trouble!

This is true, however this is what got us into the same trouble last
time. As the mapserver is built by a 3rd party - which may never
update their package again, it can cause the scenario where it blocks
an update by requiring certain versions of libraries that need to be
upgraded. This is the reason why I've wanted to do it this way - so
the hosting can always be secure and up to date for the next 5 years.

I wouldn't be confident in using a 3rd party RPM that may not ever be
maintained - such as the old configuration.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au