[MLB-WIRELESS] Internet proxy sharing

Kim Hawtin kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Aug 7 10:46:33 EST 2007

Peter Lieverdink wrote:
> Jarrod Neven wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am sharing out internet two 3 other people in my area because Hel
>> $tra thinks that Point Cook is a part of the third world, thus not
>> able to get ADSL.
>>
>> Sounds easy, setup a proxy with authentication.  Problem is I get
>> charged by the mb, so I need to tightly control how much internet is
>> let out and to who (quota management).
>>
>> I have been using the following products, with limited success.
>> * LiveCD (which is a captive portal, has issues)
>> * DD-WRT Sputnik (expensive)
>> * DD-WRT Chillispot (could not get it to work)
>> * WinGate (no quota)
>> * CCProxy (no quota)
>> * Microsoft ISA with bandwidth splitter plugin (currently using, has
>> issues)
>>
>> As you can tell by the list I am not strong with Linux, but I am
>> willing to learn.  From what I have been reading Squid does not
>> provide any quota management either. The only good Linux stuff I can
>> find are captive portals (ie Chillispot).   I need to share internet
>> over more then one hop (MyNode-> AnotherNode-> ClientNode) so I dont
>> think that will work (please correct me if I am wrong).
>
> Squid can't do quota, but a squid plugin such as squidguard might. Squid
> *can* do authentication though.

We use authenticated logins. An hourly script runs and checks the usage of users and updates the database. A helper script like squidguard checks the database to see if this user is allowed to access the URL,
from a range of criteria, including how much netusage...

regards,

Kim
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations
kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au