[MLB-WIRELESS] Internet proxy sharing

Jarrod Neven jarrod at neven.info
Tue Aug 7 08:39:15 EST 2007

Greetings,

I am sharing out internet two 3 other people in my area because Hel
$tra thinks that Point Cook is a part of the third world, thus not
able to get ADSL.

Sounds easy, setup a proxy with authentication.  Problem is I get
charged by the mb, so I need to tightly control how much internet is
let out and to who (quota management).

I have been using the following products, with limited success.
* LiveCD (which is a captive portal, has issues)
* DD-WRT Sputnik (expensive)
* DD-WRT Chillispot (could not get it to work)
* WinGate (no quota)
* CCProxy (no quota)
* Microsoft ISA with bandwidth splitter plugin (currently using, has
issues)

As you can tell by the list I am not strong with Linux, but I am
willing to learn.  From what I have been reading Squid does not
provide any quota management either. The only good Linux stuff I can
find are captive portals (ie Chillispot).   I need to share internet
over more then one hop (MyNode-> AnotherNode-> ClientNode) so I dont
think that will work (please correct me if I am wrong).

I am wondering if anyone can offer any suggestion?

Regards,

Jarrod.