[MLB-WIRELESS] HotSpot Setup

Tom Fifield gummay at gummay.net
Sun Apr 15 18:52:14 EST 2007

Is there a possibility of having a (old, linux) PC running along with
the router? You can get a great deal of flexibility out of that.

client <==> AP(running custom firmware) <==> PC (running some software)
<==> Internet

For a past employer I implemented a system that utilised Chillispot
running on a WRT54G, with a radius / postgres / php backend that
provided authentication for known* users.

A basic chillispot/radius system isn't too hard to do if you know linux,
and from that starting point it would be simple to (for example) add a
little more PHP to manage user registration/payment etc - even if you
didn't know PHP, you could change the database directly through an easy
tool like phpmyadmin, or one of the radius ones.

Too complex? Confusing? Perhaps ...

--Tom

*There was a complex database synchronization process that happened to
make a user 'known' - thankfully you don't have to deal with this!