[MLB-WIRELESS] HotSpot Setup

Nick Selemidis nikolis at netspace.net.au
Thu Apr 12 00:23:21 EST 2007

<gregsonm at aanet.com.au> wrote in message
news:mailman.7.1176269978.1611.melbwireless at wireless.org.au...
> Hello,
>
> I am interested in setting up a hotspot that is easy to setup and uses off
> the shelf hardware/software.
>
> The HotSpot must have security so that people must have authorisation to
> use it, either via a ticket/token or password.
>
> Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how this can be done?
>
> Thanks, Mark

Hello Mark
I would suggest you to try contacting first other operating nodes around you
and work out a plan with them. Maybe a bulk purchase will save you some
bucks.
Other than that if you still want to go ahead building your own node, you
should consider buying a wireless router that you can run openwrt on it and
then depends what you plan to offer at your hotspot an antenna. Remember the
leagal limit is 36dbi. The Omnis are great for sort distances but if you
plan to link with another node a parabolic dish is the way to go. The
security issue is another story, very hard to explain and actually do. Maybe
a simple splash screen with an open ssid and some info about your node and
other services you offer will do the trick. For personal use you should use
another secured ap.

I hope I have give you an idea were to start.
Maybe a small how to build a node at the M.W. site will help ppl like Mark.

Nick Selemidis