[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbourne Wireless, the Internet, Carrier licences, and you.

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Sun Sep 24 14:10:23 EST 2006

Hi all,

I have been waiting for a moment where I had some free time to sit
down and write this properly, as I believe this matter needs to be
addressed properly. So now that I have a stomach full of pancakes and
a moment to write this, here goes.

Firstly, some history. Melbourne Wireless was not started to be an
ISP. It was started on the ideas of sharing information and using
technology to make life easier and bring people together.

As of recent times, there have been a number of people wanting
Internet access via Melbourne Wireless. As this wasn't a design goal
and it presents a whole heap of issues legally, it is not something
that is being currently considered.

I would also like to explain my actions a little more about my letter
to the Minister for communications. Yes, I was looking at ways that we
could operate within the laws to provide transit for Internet access
over the Melbourne Wireless network. The sole purpose of this was to
allow members to share their internet connection with other people on
the network without any issues or worries of breaking the law. It was
not done so that Melbourne Wireless could turn into an ISP. It was not
done to save you $10 per month on your internet access.

I would like to state it once more. Melbourne Wireless WILL NOT BECOME AN ISP.

However, this being said, having the ability to transit data between
places legally opens up some interesting possibilities about people
who DO wish to share internet access over the network. This may also
include peering points to services such as VIX or PIPE if transit
points can be established. There will however be no charges for this.

Obtaining a carrier license the commercial way is simply not feasible
with the current financial conditions. We cannot afford it. This is a
very simple equation. The carrier license costs way more than we make
in total per year in memberships and from the meetings. (We still need
more donations at the meetings to make money, but that's another
matter!)

With the above being stated, I hope you now understand exactly what I
am talking about when I refer to questions about carrier licenses etc,
and I hope this clears up a few things about Melbourne Wireless.

Feel free to discuss these points, as I would really like to hear
peoples opinions.

Steven HaighEmail: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au
Phone: (03) 9017 0597 - 0412 935 897