[MLB-WIRELESS] Content

Dean Collins Dean at collins.net.pr
Fri Sep 22 22:46:05 EST 2006

Hi David,

I totally agree. This discussion would have been interesting 3-4 years
ago but now it is just a moot point.

There are very fat, very fast, very cheap wireless pipes on their way to
Australia and whilst I'm sure mlb-wireless will move to a wimax model in
the next 12 months (how come no one is talking about that yet??) there
is little that you can do to compete against these fat fast cheap
commercial services.

None of the 'reasons' quoted "obvious ones i guess are Gaming, Video
Conference, VOIP, Instant Messenger......."  have any advantage being
delivered over wireless than being delivered out of a hosted rack
available to everyone on the internet.

I mean sure you could hook up an Asterisk server (check out
www.Cognation.net/Asterisk ) and have free 'chat' voip sessions but then
what? Sure I could even hook you up with a free Mexuar Corraleta license
(check out www.Cognation.net/Mexuar ) so that you could access these
calls via a web browser without downloading a voip client but big deal
you could do the same from a peering rack.

Swapping 'content' is interesting, especially as closed to the larger
internet and therefore outside of the eyes of the riaa but this would
change if you went commercial.

I'm not wanting to rain on anyones parade but I think best to stick to a
hobby without 'free internet' because although access the to the net for
free from 'out of home' locations is a good thing, and therefore mlb
wireless should be acting as a user group to encourage this there is
little other value trying to compete with commercial entities.

I am open to arguments otherwise but that's what my thoughts are for
2006.

Cheers,

Dean