[MLB-WIRELESS] Obtaining a carrier license

Tim Hogard thogard at knotty.abnormal.com
Fri Sep 22 22:29:30 EST 2006

> In order to apply for a carrier license you need to submit a sound Industry
> Development Plan.
> The application fee is $2000 and the annual fee is $1000 plus a fee based on
> your profit margin.
This is wrong.  If your small your exempt from the IDP.

Your not exempt from a "interception capability plan" and that takes
much more work.

> The network rollout must be planned and approved, which means you plan it,
> get your license THEN build it, not the other way around.
Nope.  You can't sell anything until you have asked for approval
and you get burned if they say no.

> There are laws regarding siting of equipment , mounting of antennas etc but
> most of our stuff would be low impact, below the line installations.
> Although limited or no permits are needed, notification BEFORE it is built
> is required.
Also not accurate.  As someone pointed out a carrier license is a "building
permit for everywhere"

> You may not need a company structure, you may be able to apply as an
> Incorporated Association which only costs $56 and requires six people and a
> public officer (i run a Residents Association Inc).
Wrong again.
1st few sections of that section state that the comapny must be the
right kind of organization under the corporations act.

> Intercept laws and methods are fairly straight forward, but would require a
> robust network management system, connection to ALL nodes, a link to ASIO
> etc ALL at your expense.
Again wrong.  Its at the reasonable costs of the agency in question.

> If you seriously wanted to try it
>
> 1.    Treat the $2000 as a gamble, and spin that wheel
True.
> 2.    Plan a small network eg 10 nodes which currently dont exist
See above.
> 3.    Build a sound network management plan
Not requireed but will burn you once the 1st TIO compalint shows up.
> 4.    Create a small company for the purpose, independant of, but linked to
> Melb Wireless.
Almost.  It needs to be a new company or else you may need to get
statements of the creators of the shelf company for years.
> 5.    Build a central network management system (a PC) which can "see" all
> the nodes
Sanity would require this but hops are ok.
> 6.    Register all the users of the network (Name address, drivers license
> etc.) I suggest 100 Melb Wireless members.
You have to id users but you don't need 100 points.  I'm not sure
the AG dept would be happy with 5 points but thats their problem to
point out to you after you send in the binder of paperwork.

> 7.    Write a development plan showing the history of the group, what you
> intend to do, what services you will supply and what you WILL NOT do. A
> carrier license makes you Optus overnight, so you need to limit your means.
Here is that:
 Foo Pty Ltd is exempt for the requirement to lodge an Industry
 Development Plan (IDP) because the annual capital expenditure of
 our small company is less than the $20,000,000 threshold.

> 8.    Write a business plan which shows how 'the company' will manage its
> costs. I suggest a subscription fee of $50 x 100 users gives you a starting
> operating capital.
A business plan isn't needed.
> 9.   Get a small Internet backbone link, eg 1.5 MB to 6 MB to start with.
Thats easy.  HVC already has active fiber to the tower.
> Just to demonstrate the function without going overboard.
> 10.    Plan security for the network including encryption.
This is a major can of worms under "communications protection"
> 11.    Write a public relations policy.
That isn't need but about 30 other polices are.
If you don't know how to curses the paperwork
of ISO 9000, this is not your game.

-tim
http://web.abnormal.com