[MLB-WIRELESS] Neighborhood share net

Paul McGowan - Yawarra paul.mcgowan at yawarra.com.au
Tue Sep 12 12:22:52 EST 2006

Hi All,

Since we seem to be talking about providing internet access without a
carrier licence (again), I thought I'd throw this into the mix.

I apologise in advance if it's been done before, or there is an
underlying technical impediment which I've missed, or indeed, if I
have described something which is just, er "DUH!"

As I understand it, MW (and other community wireless networks) setup
a number of private networks (of sorts)  that are (explicitly) not
routed to the internet (for the reasons we've been through many times
before).

But, what if the wireless network was used to provide redundancy and
diversity to nodes which already have their *own* internet
connections?

Basically, each node provides a connection to the internet, as well
as shared access to anyone connected to the wireless link.

If I have cable (at 1500k), and my "neighbour" (three blocks over)
has an ADSL connection (512k), then we can pool our bandwidth, while
both payng for our own connection only.  We both got the benefit of a
2M link, provided our wireless link is at least 1.5M (which seems
likely over such a small distance).  What's more, if my cable, or his
ADSL goes down temporarily, then we both have the benefit of
redundant connections.  The system scales to 3, 4, 5 or more nodes
(but is ultimately limited by the wireless link speed) and every node
makes it better for all concerned.

Furthermore, to avoid arguments about bandwidth hogs, it should be
possible to provide preferred access to the owner of any particular
node for their own internet connection.  That is to say, if I want to
use the internet, and my neighbor is currently using my connection, I
get preference and he gets shunted.  I will therefore always get *at
least* what I pay for (and mostly more).  The system degrades quite
well to the worst case, which is what you have already.

Similarly, since most ISPs still think download limits are a good
thing, each node contributes a download limit to the pool, and each
node can use up to that limit only before shaping is imposed.

Thus, there is a pool of MB/s and MB download available for all to
use in proportion to what they contribute, but everyone involved
receives the benefit of diversity (faster download, think Bit
Torrent) and redundancy for the cost of a normal broadband connection
and some wireless gear. (and a few weekends on the roof)

Most importantly however, no money changes hands, and no-one is worse
off than they are without the system.  It is, in all respects, win-
win.  The ISPs don't even lose.  The question is, I guess, since no
money changes hands, would such a scheme qualify as "non-commercial".

Discuss... ;-)

Best regards,

Paul McGowan
Yawarra Information Appliances Pty Ltd