[MLB-WIRELESS] noncommercial WISP

Rowan 2006 rowan2006 at sensation.net.au
Mon Sep 11 19:04:30 EST 2006

Hi all,

I've recently emailed ACMA to try to get a clear answer on what
constitutes providing "noncommercial" internet services. I am currently
offering WISP services for free but I was interested to find out whether
*partial* cost recovery would void the noncommercial status. I received
back a "cost recovery would not be considered noncommercial" reply from
them but so far it's just raised more questions. I've emailed back again
with further details for more clarification.

In the scenario I'm proposing, partial cost recovery would mean accepting
donations to help fund new equipment purchases. Ongoing running costs
would be borne by myself. The amount paid to suppliers would be
consistently higher than any donations accepted.

Has anyone else approached this subject before?

BTW here's my free WISP setup, virtually useless at the moment with only
standard AP antennas :)

http://www.melbournewireless.org.au/wiki/?NodeISI

Cheers.