[MLB-WIRELESS] Senao "all in one" high power outdoor units

Robert Hart robert at air-stream.org
Thu Sep 7 12:14:04 EST 2006

Certainly the most cost effective solution is running a MiniPCI cradles
in your server, and freeBSD is the best OS in my option as it has good
support. Recently we moved all our work servers over from Gentoo to FreeBSD

At Air-Stream (my wireless club in Adealide) we have a number of core
routers in the network which are just old surplus P3 which support up to
five PCI wireless cards without any issues the oldest has been running
for 657days and only because we added some new cards.

About 5 metres of LMR400 Coax seems to be the maximum and works quite ok
but with Heliax you add a little more. As for antennas for APs I would
go for a Superpass 8dbi or if you want sector coverage a 4 slot
waveguide as these has proven them selfs  to be the best performers over
the years.  Recently we installed some 15dbi Omni at a site with good
LOS, but the beam width was such that it over shot most local users, but
seen out as far as 20kms, so these are not recommended in high locations.

Robert