[MLB-WIRELESS] OT: increasing GPS accuracy

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Tue Oct 17 12:38:42 EST 2006

Quoting Rowan 2006 <rowan2006 at sensation.net.au>:
> Just a quick OT question as I know many of you fiddle with GPS: if you had
> a reference GPS in a fixed location with long-term averaged co-ordinates,
> could you use the difference between the current and long-term reading
> from that GPS, to correct another (portable) GPS unit nearby?
>
> eg, say the long term position is x,y. At 09:01:30 the current reading is
> x+3,y-2. Can this offset be retroactively applied to the reading saved at
> the same time from a portable GPS?

I think what you're looking for is Differential GPS (DGPS). This uses
a ground based trasmitter as well as sats to get a VERY accurate
position (I hear values of 10cm quoted by some people). If you really
want to get one and play with it, make sure you're sitting down when
you ask for the price of one of these units ;)

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au