[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless router temp logger?

Andrew Leech a_leech at swin.edu.au
Sat Oct 14 22:01:47 EST 2006

Maxim should send you a couple of DS chips as free samples no worries,
I've never had any problems in the past.
As for the micro, I'm a big fan of atmels and use them for almost
everything I build, but in this case I think there's much to be said for
making it as simple as possible. If the router can handle it directly,
you might as well do it. The simple wiring up of a temp chip to pins in
the wrt is much simpler for non-electronics minded hobyists than having
to build a micro based circuit board and program it up.

Andrew

David Ashburner wrote:
> Hey, where are you guys buying those DS chips?
> I want some!!
>
> If you want to use one wire I compiled up the OWW software a while ago.
> Its here:
>
> http://www.melbournewireless.org.au/files/wrt54/Packages/
> oww_0.81.7_mipsel.ipk
>
> OWW project http://oww.sourceforge.net/
> If I remember correctly I didn't build the GUI version the idea bing
> that you ran the OWW Client on a machine with a display.
>
> You know, rather than interfacing a sensor directly to the serial port
> on the router why not do it through a microcontroller?
>
> I use Zilog and Atmel micros and it's a snap to interface to the serial
> port on the WRT. You don't need to worry about level shifting as both
> ends are 3.3V, you can even drive the micro from the WRT power supply.
>
>   mm, Z8F6423 gives you a lot of I/O for $12.84
>
> On Oct 13, 2006, at 9:23 PM, Andrew Leech wrote:
>

>> Is there a particular reason you need to use that chip? A similar
>> option
>> would be to use the DS1624 or similar temperature sensor that uses i2c
>> rather than the 1 wire. You can follow these instructions to add i2c to
>> a wrt54g: http://www.byteclub.net/wiki/index.php?title=Wrt54g
>> I haven't done this personally, but it looks pretty well written.
>>
>> This way you wont have to write drivers yourself to get it working, and
>> the temp sensor will probably be able to be read with the standard
>> linux
>> lm_sensors stuff, as mentioned on the page.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>> Andrew
>>
>> Paul Jones wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to find a router + firmware that I can modify to read a
>>> DS1820 temp sensor via a 1-wire bus. Just wondering if anybody knows
>>> of
>>> any links where this has already been done? The only one I have
>>> managed
>>> to find is this: http://owfs.sourceforge.net/WRT54G.html
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Paul.