[MLB-WIRELESS] New world record for wifi link (125 Miles). and Geelong major node now active.

Peter Buncle peter at nmc.net.au
Mon Nov 27 15:28:08 EST 2006

Further to this topic,

I found a clear 100klm path a while ago and this weekend
finally got some equipment up for testing at node JEE.

I've put up a 15db panel facing Geelong
with the ssid jee.melbournewireless.org.au on vertical pol
for this region to get things moving.

The site's got great LOS to most of Geelong.

On scanning from a grid, I picked up node ILE and a few stray packets
from GHO-Mobile.

With some tinkering, it associated with node ile.

Once tcp/ip was configured, it started passing pings
with about 75% packet loss.

FYI the antenna at ile is 10deg off line
so with more work, a better link should be possible.

I guesstimate this'll make about 10 - 15db difference
seeing as though ile's antenna has a 6 deg beamwidth.

If our maths are correct that makes it about 17.36 klm off the focal
point
and 12.2 klm away of the main lobe.

(feel free to correct any errors)

Anyone else had any progress yet ?