[MLB-WIRELESS] GPS and GSM transciever

Rowan 2006 rowan2006 at sensation.net.au
Fri Nov 24 11:20:17 EST 2006

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, Tim Hogard wrote:

> > Sounds like the making of a DIY security system with remote engine disable
> > and GPS tracking ;)
>
> I got one of these and it appears to be a GPRS one (not the CDMA one but
> who knows which you'll get if you order one).

Bah! It's 11am and there's a piece of paper in my letter box saying I
missed the delivery, so I'll have to wait until after 4pm to collect it.
If I knew it was going to arrive today rather than Monday I wouldn't have
gone to bed at 5am. ;)

> Does anyone know what it takes to program teh device?  It looks like
> it needs special software from transcom.

This is what I was afraid of. The tech information PDF suggests that the
software is part of the base model, but the dealsdirect page doesn't
include that as part of the box contents.

Perhaps Transcom could help? At this price they're probably keen to be rid
of them, so you may not receive a favourable answer. According to Google's
cache you would have paid $984.50 for the GPRS model if you had ordered it
directly from them......

http://www.transcom.com.au/contactus.html

> Mine came with a second GPS device wich is a 5V rs-232 device
> made by Navius in .kr.

It wouldn't happen to be this one would it?

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/global-positioning-receiver-gps/

> Also does anyone know if the free data is still included in the Virgin prepaid sim
> deal or did they fix that billing problem?

Tsk, now wouldn't that be akin to stealing your neighbours internet
connection? ;) I've been hunting for low cost pay-as-you-go data bundles,
or reasonably priced voice accounts with data included. I still have to
figure out how "chattery" the unit is to get an idea of how much it will
cost to leave it going constantly.

Cheers.