[MLB-WIRELESS] Microstumbler- standalone wifi card hack

Rob Clark clark at freenet-antennas.com
Fri Nov 3 14:02:14 EST 2006

Seems like one of these puppies:

http://www.edimax.com.tw/html/english/products/EW-7317LDg.htm

I was toying with importing some to test the market - but was not
convinced there was a market.

If there is interest at MelbWireless, I could orgainise a 1-time
bulk-buy. No idea of the price but if you want me to investigate
further, simply reply saying you would like to register interest. If we
can get support for 10 or more units - I will go away and get a price.

Cheers

Rob

http://www.prism54.org/mustumbler.html

What's Microstumbler ?

The Microstumbler project is aimed at adding autonomous network scanning
capabilities
to a wireless card ; that's to say, your can scan wireless networks
using just your wifi card
and no computer : a LCD and a simple 3-key keypad are connected to it,
and it's powered
by a battery. This hack is in theory compatible with all hardware that
contains an ISL38xx
chip : PCI and PCMCIA SoftMAC and FullMAC cards, and USB version 1 and
version 2
devices. All you need to be able to is to electrically power up the
device outside of a
computer, and tap two easily locatable signals on its circuit board !

Is it working now ?

 No, the software part is not finished yet.